Are you struggling with figure drawing? Can’t seem to get the right proportions, or they are missing realism and life in them? I’m here to help 🙂
To master figure drawing one must learn the theory from books, watch videos of masters who know what they are doing and PRACTICE – and these are your three steps to success!
There are a couple of ways you can go about it – try to figure it all out by yourself, or take a shortcut and learn from people who have been where you are right now! Why invent the wheel that was already invented?
* This post may contain Affiliate Links, please refer to Disclosure to read more about them 🙂
For those who LOVE to read, and learn better this way – there are MANY books out there that are ready to help you no matter what level you are right now.
Here is my list of 14 Best Figure Drawing Books for Beginners:
(you can read a short summary of all of them here if you are not sure which one is right for you)
1. Figure Drawing for All It’s Worth by Andrew Loomis
3. Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton
4. Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblet
5. Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peek
6. Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth
7. The Artist’s Complete Guide to Figure Drawing by Anthony Rider
8. The Human Figure by John H. Vanderpoel
9. Bridgman’s Complete Guide to Drawing from Life by George B. Bridgman
10. Figure Drawing for Artists: Making Every Mark Count by Steve Huston
11. Anatomy Lessons From the Great Masters by Robert Baverly Hale
12. Figure Drawing Master Class: Lessons in Life Drawing by Dan Gheno
13. Figure Drawing For Dummies by Kensuke Okabayashi
14. Figure Drawing for Concept Artists by Kan Muftic
All of them are a great addition to your home library, and are a valuable asset for any artist!
For those of you who enjoy videos more – there are plenty out there that are great for learning! However, I do believe that everyone should do ALL THREE – books, video and practice – in order to succeed!
That’s the reason why I’m in love with the “Secret Of Figure Drawing” course by Ethan (founder of mydrawingtutorials.com) and Michael (co-founder of this course) that together created such valuable step-by-step lessons for artists!
In the course, one gets 6 full training modules, filled with 29+ video lessons for a total of over 7 hours of materials.
And you’ll be able to watch these videos anytime from any place:
Module 1: Human Proportion Made Easy
How to draw the human figure from different sides, different types of human proportions, tricks to measure right, common mistakes beginners make and much much more!
Module 2: Drawing The Figure In Perspective
Basic perspective rules, step-by-step instructions, how perspective affects your figure – so you can later draw from your head the most complex poses realistically, and more!
Module 3: Drawing Gesture & The Manikin Figure
Simplifying human form, gesture drawing, manikin in different poses, the secret to drawing from imagination, and more!
Module 4: Drawing Realistic Anatomy
The importance of anatomy, easy way to transform your manikin into a realistic human figure, step-by-step how to draw different parts of the body from different angles, flexing body, and more!
Module 5: Secrets Of Realistic Shading
Proper pencil grips, best types of pencils for your desired shading, making your figure look life-like, and more!
Module 6: Drawing A Complete Figure From Start To Finish
Step by step from start to finish, giving your figure depth and dimension through shading, a list of all the details you need to add in order to make it look realistic and with proper skin tones, and much more!
Sounds impressive, right?
Also, I noticed that right now they are giving out free bonuses (I don’t know how long it will last for) that would cost you 70$ altogether ( and the course itself is way cheaper than that)!!!
You are getting a course on “How To Draw Hands” (Value – $27), “How To Draw The Feet” (Value – $27) and a beautiful “Shortcut Secrets Of Figure Drawing” E-book (Value – $14.95).
You can also check out what is included in the book in the video down below. You can purchase the book separately, I believe, or get for free with the course!
I hope it lasts long enough for all of you to be able to get all of them since they are truly helpful! 🙂
Check all the details about this course here.
The last piece of this puzzle is to go ahead and practice, practice and practice! The more you do something – the better you get, and the books and the video course will help you achieve your goals faster! 🙂
Figure drawing can be practiced by:
- going to a nearby figure drawing meeting with a live model (highly recommended)
- drawing from photographs of your friends or relatives
- or visiting a website with setting that you can modify yourself like :
Good luck on your figure drawing learning,
Your Art Bud 😉
Also, check out these posts for more Art Tips, Inspiration and Motivation:
* “ Artist Interview #1 – Featuring Kevin Hong ” where he shares his art story, tips, and inspirations with us 🙂
* ” Artist Interview #2 – Featuring B. Blue “ for her story and colorful paintings!
* ” Artist Interview #3 – Featuring Agnieszka Nienartowicz “ to get inspired by her art and tips.
* ” Artist Interview #3 – Featuring Daria Golab “ for her insights.
* ” 14 Best Figure Drawing Books for Beginners “ with a list of great resources!
* ” How to Art – 7 Beginner Steps to Improve Your Drawings “ for some more tips on how to get started on Your Art Path!
* ” 15 Leonardo Da Vinci Quotes ” to learn from the master’s ideas!
* ” Art Inspiration Weekly #1 ” to get inspired by awesome contemporary artworks published every Thursday!
* ” Top Oil Painting Tutorials on YouTube or 8 Steps to Learning How To Paint in Olis ” to master oil painting in no time!